Naomi’s Granola

Naomi%27s+Granola

Granola

from Naomi DeWinter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup maple syrup (I use Log Cabin)

4 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Pinch of salt

5 cups old-fashioned oats

2 cups of walnuts or pecans

Dried fruit, if desired

This recipe is adapted from one I discovered several years ago from a Gourmet-type magazine. I make it about once every two weeks.

Mix together the brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in the oil (pouring in slowly). Add a pinch of salt. Mix in the oats and then the nuts. You could also add dried fruits (e.g. dried cranberries, blueberries) at this point. I don’t because I prefer the granola with fresh fruit and the fruit can get a little chewy after baking.

Scoop onto a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Spread out the granola and tamp it down with a metal spatula. Then, bake in a 325-degree oven for approximately 40 minutes.  I like my granola on the dark side, so may add a few minutes. Do not touch the granola while it’s baking, other than to turn the baking sheet about ½ way. This allows the granola to caramelize and comes out in a large sheet, to be broken up into small pieces, as desired. Store in an airtight container for several weeks. Ours usually runs out every two weeks, so I don’t know how much longer it would last. We usually serve it with yogurt and fresh fruit.