Lighthouse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lighthouse

By Mika Rangel

The keeper of the lighthouse was known to all in the small seaport town. He would have his groceries delivered there and would always be watching from the top for ships needing his beacon of light to guide them to shore. The old keep would only leave the house for about 5 minutes each night. He would outside with his coat and hat and look out at sea. He would then turn and retreat back into the lighthouse. I had a view of his late night wanderings from my window. I saw him each night before I would fall asleep. Then one night as I watched the man walk back into the lighthouse, the tower went dark. The keeper never allowed the light to stop its rotation beam that reached out into the dark sea to guide sailors home. The town visited the lighthouse when there was no sign of the light coming back on. The villagers walk in and find the dead body of the lighthouse keeper. It was determined he had been there for days. No one had realized he was gone, no one went out of their way to befriend the lonely man, all they cared was that the light still shown in the night. A new keeper was found but not as dedicated as the previous owner. I still see him, however. I still see him each night coming out of the lighthouse for a moment to stare out at the sea.

Comments

comments