Calumet

MCC Graduates say their goodbyes

Get out of your comfort zone and see where it takes you.

By Delaney Clark

My name is Delaney Clark and I am majoring in Environmental Science. After graduating from MCC I will transfer to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and major in Reclamation, Environment, and Conservation.  My time at MCC has been nothing short of extraordinary.  MCC has given me the opportunity to travel and has molded me into a strong leader. I’m thankful to have met lifelong friends in my classes and clubs I participated in.  I encourage everyone to try something new next year.  Whether it be joining a club, setting an academic goal, or taking an elective that has nothing to do with your major.  Get out of your comfort zone and see where it takes you. Good luck with the rest of your studies, I can’t wait to see all the wonderful things you accomplish!

MCC was a good option for you

By Mark Zogg-Kellett:

My time at MCC was an overall good experience for me. I met some nice teachers here at college. David Lane, Jim Compton, Lesa Khedra, Elias Dabeet, to name a few and I’ve changed a lot since being a freshman. I also met some nice people in AKOP, Renae, Amber and they’ve been great to me. I didn’t make that many friends at MCC, but I made a few. I also learned more about myself. I learned more of who I am and what I want. I didn’t know what I was doing as a Freshman but I have a better idea now. I also really appreciated Brian Abbott my Algebra 2 teacher as he was very encouraging and helpful. When I was in Algebra 2, I was struggling, and I had a failing grade for a little while. However, with my strong desire to get caught up and Brian’s encouragement I got my grade up to a high B, it was well worth it. I also appreciated my stats teacher Elias Dabeet. I don’t know how to spell his last name lol. He was pretty patient, really smart and cared about our success. I respect men like him. All in all, MCC was good for me, I’m completely sure that going to a university straight out of high school wouldn’t have been a good idea and MCC was a good option for me.

My time at MCC is something I will cherish for the rest of my life

By Sherrilynn Dusenberry:

My path at MCC began by chance. I was with my daughter signing her up for her classes at the college. During her meeting with the advisor, I now will forever consider a friend, I said that I wish I had finished my degree. The advisor then spoke the words that changed my life, “It’s never too late.”

Committing to returning to college as a non-traditional student raised many fears within me. I worried about what others would think, would I fit in, or would I stand out, and the biggest fear of all, “What if I fail?”

My time at MCC is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. During my time here life brought some unspeakable moments. During those moments my schooling became my lifeline. I held onto that dream and it became my driving force to not give up.

Many do not know the important role they played in my life. To try and pick “just one” teacher as my favorite is a task I find to be beyond difficult because they all touched my life in ways that inspired, encouraged and changed me. Teachers who believed in me and helped me believe in myself. Teachers who cared about me not only as a student but for the qualities who make me who I am. And teachers who were so much more than a teacher, they are now my friends.

Then there are those amazing library ladies whose patience deserves an award! No matter how much help I needed, a smile always appeared upon their faces. Then even helped to dry a few tears, and reassured me that “I got this.”

The dean, financial aid, so many who’ve come to mean so very much.

Lastly, there are the students. The students I feared would judge me. How very wrong I was. Not only did the accept me. They are some of my dearest friends. Some even thanked me for inspiring them, and have thanked me for being there for them.

I once thought I would be too embarrassed to walk across that stage on Graduation Day. Once again I let fear creep on me. However, I won’t let it win! I once worried, “What will people think?” Now I want them to. I want them to think that “It’s never too late.” Dreams can come true.

Thank you, MCC.

College was not a place of learning, but a family experience.

By Moses Nagamootoo:

For me, Muscatine Community College was not only a place of learning but a family experience as I was able to bond with teachers and my fellow students during my studies here.

As I make my way back to my home country and get ready for the next leg of my journey in my academic career, I find myself with mixed feelings of accomplishments and sadness. It is hard to say goodbye to the wonderful people with whom I have shared my first college years in the USA, and from whom I have learned so much.

I enjoyed making new friends as each semester started, and hanging out in the Quad area, and watching movies on Fridays during Fall and Summer in the student center when there are so many fun activities going on. To the students who come after my graduating batch, I encourage you to enjoy both studies and play and to take part in all activities that college has to offer. Listen to the counsel of your teachers, and even learn from your fellow students. College life is an interactive experience.

Farewell, dear friends. Be proud of your college. Have full confidence in yourself to be better than the students who have graduated before you!

By Samantha George:

In my two years of learning at MCC, I met many great people between fellow students to amazing teachers. College wasn’t always the easiest between homework, class, and working but the friends and connections I built with others made it easier & well worth it. My Advice is don’t be afraid to talk to people, they might be stressed about the same stuff!

Comments

comments

Student-Run Since '51.
MCC Graduates say their goodbyes