Calumet

Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Back to Article
Back to Article

Editor’s column: Capture new memories

By Taylor Cameron

Envision a Canon Rebel camera, quiet but capturing the extraordinary things in life with a push of a button. Photographers are like flies on a wall watching you till they get their perfect picture. Annie Leibovitz said, “The camera makes you forget you’re there. It’s not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.” Once photographers have that perfect picture all they want is have it on display for everyone to see.

I have been the photographer for the Calumet for two semesters. Since Sharon Adasme graduated last semester and transferred to St. Ambrose to enlarge her education in journalism I, Taylor Cameron, will take her position as editor to continue the traditions of our student-run newspaper since 1951.

As some start the first year of college, others are ending here at Muscatine Community College. We are all in for a busy semester with papers to write, speeches to give, finals to take, and more. These big events will bring high emotions not only for the students, but also the instructors.

If you are like the old me, a shy and sit-at-the-back of the class type, try to come out of your comfort zone to join a group, club, or organization offered at MCC. You will not believe how one small group will bring you out of that zone of comfort. Alfred Eisenstaedt once said, “When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear.” Also, it is surprising how as time goes by this crowd becomes more like family.

I am beyond happy to be your new Calumet editor. I would like to remind our readers that the motto is “Student Run Since 1951.” We are short staffed this semester, but that is not going to us from delivering news to our campus and community. I will go out of my way to find new stories to write for each edition. I’m looking for some guest columns, too.

Throughout this semester we are on this journey together, building each other up, transferring to different schools, graduating, and moving to various places. But no matter where our choices take us in life, we are never going to forget the group, club, organization, or even instructors that positively influenced us. And the Calumet will be there to capture your stories and keep them for years to come.

For any questions, submissions, comments, concerns, your more than welcome to speak with any of the Calumet staff or email me directly at 2018calumet@gmail.com.

We look forward to you reaching out to us for what you want in your newspaper. Have a great semester everyone.

Ways to contribute to the Calumet are:

• Pictures
  • Club events
  • Poems
  • Drawn art
  • Letters to the editor
  • Recipes

Comments

comments

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Editor's Voice

“The Post” is what I want to do

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Editor's Voice

Make this semester great

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Editor's Voice

Attitude is everything for fall 2017 Calumet

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Features

Little Miss Sunshine Musical Pictures

• Features

Till next time, Calumet

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Features

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

News

Muscatine Community College 2019 Awards Banquet

• Features

MCC Graduates say their goodbyes

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Features

New Place to Stand

• Editor’s column: Capture new memories

Features

Farewell MCC

Student-Run Since '51.
Editor’s column: Capture new memories