To preserve, protect, defend and door knock

Daniel Salazar

People always talk about the Iowa Caucus and how crazy things are. But according to the Pew Research center only about 20% of registered Republicans and 40% of Democrats actually participate in the caucuses.

On Feb. 3, I was able to be part of those statistics.

I was recruited for the Elizabeth Warren campaign, not really understanding how serious people got about their candidates. It started with the phone calls and the constant bombardment of text messages, a tool used more this election cycle. Texts and calls asked me to volunteer and help out. Eventually one hour of door knocking a week turned into five hours, four days a week, along with phone banking and yes, even “texting 10 people we know!”

It was clear to me that if I wanted to do a good job I needed to do my research and find my own reasons to love a candidate, Warren in this case. My main goal was to reach out to those who haven’t really been reached get them informed, regardless of who they wanted to vote for.

Being part of this campaign and doing a good job meant asking time and time again people I knew to help me.

On the bright side I was able to spend hours with my best friend.

So after hours and days door knocking, phone banking and whatever else they needed I found myself in a four-hour caucus training section on a Sunday afternoon.

I had no idea what I was doing, but I was a caucus captain and that had a nice ring to it.

The night of the caucuses had two rounds of voting. We needed 12 people to be viable.

I was also surprised when we only had nine. Frantically I did what I could, with the help of the nine and got exactly 12. I did my duty. I went back to the campaign office and partied with the people who were actually getting paid.

The next day I drove by the office and saw a moving truck. I got a grateful text from the field organizer thanking us for our service and wishing me well in my future endeavors.

That was it. It was over with and I could go on with my life. The only issue I am faced with is what to do about being elected a delegate. So even now my foot is still in the door to the world of politics.